[vc_row padding_top=”0px” padding_bottom=”0px”][vc_column fade_animation_offset=”45px”][text_output]You probably know there’s a lot going on in entrepreneurship in our community right now: we have a world class accelerator program, a fantastic coworking space, a constant stream of events like Startup Weekend and 1 Million Cups, and much more.
Now, we’re gearing up to address another kind of constraint: the need for flexible, affordable housing.
Iowa Startup Accelerator is leading an initiative to research and design the kind of housing that is necessary to support the startup and creative ecosystem we want and need. While we’re just getting started, some of the key things we’re looking for are:
- Housing that’s within walking distance of NewBo and all of the entrepreneurial support programs available here
- Housing that’s inexpensive enough to be affordable for entrepreneurs investing all of their savings into their businesses
- Housing that’s flexible enough to use for short periods of time, because entrepreneurs need to be able to move as they grow their business or find a long-term location once they’re up and running
- Housing with access to public transit, pedestrian & bike trails and other amenities
- Housing designed for creative users, like artists that may need space to paint or sculpt
- Temporary housing for visiting mentors, speakers, Startup Weekend facilitators and teams, startups from other communities, etc.
- Access to parking in the dense NewBo neighborhood
- Sustainable design features that make long-term financial sense and have a meaningful environmental impact
In a few months, we’ll make the results of our research public, and share new ideas and concepts for keeping our creative & startup communities thriving.[/text_output][/vc_column][/vc_row]