- This event has passed.
Business Startup Speaker Series: Legal 101 for Startup Businesses
February 28 @ 8:30 am - 10:00 amFree
Session Learning Objectives
There are many legal considerations when starting a business. We’ll discuss how to manage intellectual property, the different types of agreements (non-disclosures and non-competes), contract basics (indemnity, liabilities, accountabilities, exit clauses), and other legal do’s and don’ts that you’ll want to know about as you start and grow your business.
We’ll be providing coffee, juice, and donuts, as well.
Thomas J. Bush, Associate Attorney, Shuttleworth and Ingersoll, P.L.C.
Thomas is a transactional business attorney with a primary focus in the areas of equity financing, securities, sales and acquisitions of businesses, business contracts, and real estate. Typical work for Thomas includes:
- Start-Up and Entrepreneur Law – Representing companies in all stages of the formation process, from initial formation through mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, and divestitures.
- Equity Finance and Securities Law – Representing clients in securities offerings (including Common and Preferred Stock, S.A.F.E.s, and Convertible Notes) and securities compliance issues.
- Mergers and Acquisitions – Representing clients in the purchase and sale of companies, including asset, stock, and merger based transactions.
Bill J. Daly, Senior Vice President, Shuttleworth and Ingersoll, P.L.C.
Bill’s practice focuses on transactional and business law, finance, securities, sales and acquisitions of businesses, business contracts, and real estate. Bill serves as Co-Chair of the Firm’s Startups & Innovators Practice Group, Chair of the Firm’s Securities & Equity Finance Practice Group, member of the Firm’s Compensation Committee, and Member and Past-Chair of the Firm’s Recruiting Committee. Typical work for Bill includes:
- Start-Up & Entrepreneur Law – Representing new companies in all stages, ranging from initial formation through mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, and divestitures.
- Equity Finance and Securities Law – Representing clients in securities offerings and securities compliance issues.
- Mergers & Acquisitions – Representing clients in the purchase and sale of companies, including asset, stock, and merger based transactions.
- General Corporate and Corporate Governance – Representing companies in all aspects of corporate matters, including board and shareholder governance matters.
- Outside General Counsel & General Contract Review – Preparing, negotiation, and reviewing all forms of business contracts for clients.
Reserve your seat
- Financial considerations and reports for starting and growing a business
Wednesday, March 22 11:30 – 1:00 Iowa City, MERGE
Tuesday, March 28 8:30 – 10:00 Cedar Rapids, Vault
- Branding and Marketing to start and grow and business
Wednesday, April 18 11:30 – 1:00 Iowa City, MERGE
Tuesday, April 26 8:30 – 10:00 Cedar Rapids, Vault
The Business Startup Speaker Series — presented by the Iowa City Area Development Group and NewBoCo — leads current and aspiring entrepreneurs + small business owners through a Step-By-Step guide of all the things you need to know when starting and growing your business. From Administrative Basics to Branding, we’ll cover it all.
Join us in Iowa City on Wednesday, February 22nd or in Cedar Rapids on Tuesday, February 28th for our second session on Business Startup Administrative Basics.