NewBoCo Diversity Statement
Lead Software Developer Instructor – DeltaV Code School
The New Bohemian Innovation Collaborative (NewBoCo) is a 501c3 non-profit located in the heart of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The organization is dedicated to making the state of Iowa more resilient to a changing economy by supporting entrepreneurship, innovation and tech education.
We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that includes partners with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving customers throughout our global communities. Black, Indigenous, People of color, Women, LGBTQIA+, Veterans, and Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.
NewBoCo is looking for a Lead Instructor of our DeltaV Code School. This person must have a strong aptitude and desire to help people change their lives and enter the world of professional software development through instruction and guidance. This is a hands-on instruction role as well as the leader of the DeltaV Code School teaching team. You will work closely with our staff and partners in order to ensure we are delivering students the best possible learning experience in the market.
- Teach Code 401 (https://www.deltavcodeschool.com/course-catalog/code-401/) and additional classes as assigned
- Assist support team in finding, onboarding and retaining instructional staff for their campus
- Supervise instructional staff team members and conduct weekly 1:1’s with campus instructors to review student feedback and ensure proper corrections are taking place
- Assist in creating and participate in student recruitment activities
- Ensure the best possible, highest quality learning environment for students
- Instruct according to the guidelines and rules set forth in the Code Fellows Instructor Handbook
- Proactively assist student learning in-person and online
- Be available to students outside of class, in-person or online, as needed
- Act as a trainer for Assistant Instructors
- Effectively manage and leverage the assistance of Teaching Assistants (TAs)
- Evaluate assignments and provide meaningful feedback
- Alert the Company to any significant student issues that arise right away to pull in support, help, and provide resources
- Support other instructors and TAs with the curriculum, as appropriate
- Wrap up the course no later than one week after the conclusion of the course
- Record student performance and report to admissions/headquarters staff for recordkeeping
- Provide feedback to curriculum partners
- Instruct Code 101 courses on a limited number of Saturdays throughout the year
- Attend community tech events on occasion
Skills & Qualifications
- 2+ years professional software development experience
- Experience with and/or desire to learn the tools and technologies we teach* now and in the future, including:
- Code 301: Node.js, Express, React, MongoDB, Heroku
- Code 401: .NET 5, ASP.NET Core, Entity Framework Core, SQL Server, Azure
- *Course descriptions can be found here.
- Professional experience as an instructor or educator, including experience teaching students how to code; recent relevant coding coursework as a student; or demonstrated coding ability
- Experience coaching and developing other software developers
- Highly organized individual able to keep multiple projects and tasks on track at once
- Consistently interested in the consumption of new technologies and incorporating these into evolving curriculum
Some details you should know:
- This is a full-time, salaried role commensurate with experience.
- Requires flexibility to work limited evening and weekend hours (rare, but may occur throughout the year) as needed for classes, projects and events.
- You’ll be required to pass a background check, and enter an agreement to safeguard proprietary information of NewBoCo and our clients, as a part of the on-boarding process.
- Benefits include Open PTO Policy, company contributions to health/vision/dental insurance plans and a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with company match.
If you are interested, apply and include:
- A resume
- Why you are interested in this position and what previous related experience you have
- Answers to our optional Equal Opportunity questions
New Bohemian Innovation Collaborative is committed to the principles of Diversity, Equity Inclusion as well as Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action. To monitor our EEO/AA efforts and to comply with government record keeping, grant reporting and other legal requirements, we need to collect information from our job applicants. Completion of this self-identification form is voluntary. This information is not provided to the hiring manager. You will not be subjected to any adverse treatment if you do or do not provide the information requested. We would, however, appreciate your response.