NewBoCo Diversity Statement
Code School Teaching Assistant
We’re looking for one or more teaching assistants to help us grow DeltaV in Cedar Rapids, Mount Pleasant, Davenport, and Mason City. You’ll be responsible for:
- Assisting in teaching the curriculum, including:
- Helping students every day during class work hours
- Leading instructional sessions ranging from the entry-level 101 by yourself, through advanced 401-level courses with our instructors
- Improving the curriculum over time and providing feedback on the program itself
- Assisting in administration of the program (grading, admissions, etc)
- Developing real world applications for startups and corporate partners when classes aren’t in session
This role is ideal for a recent college graduate or early career developer with a strong computer science background, and ideally with some formal or informal teaching experience. This is a hands-on role: you’ll get down and dirty with the code, working with the students on a daily basis to help them work through challenges and push them to get a strong understanding of modern software development practices.
- Ensure the best possible, highest quality learning environment for students
- Assist with instruction according to the guidelines and rules set forth in the Instructor Handbook
- Proactively assist student learning in-person and online
- Be available to students outside of class, in person, as needed
- Grading homework and other student work
- Support the instructors and other teaching assistants with the curriculum, as appropriate
- Instruct 101 courses on a limited number of Saturdays throughout the year
- Attend community tech events on occasion
- Contribute content for our blog on occasion
Skills & Qualifications
- 2+ years professional software development experience and/or 2+ years of Computer Science classroom experience with several years of non-professional code experience. In either case, you’d better have a solid demonstration of your work in a Github repo. You need to be sufficiently nerdy to grow the curriculum at DeltaV!
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills. You need to balance your nerdiness with an approachable, patient, focused demeanor.
- Highly organized individual able to keep multiple projects and tasks on track at once
- Consistently interested in the consumption of new technologies and incorporating these into existing curriculum
Some details you should know:
- This can be either a part-time or a full-time, hourly role.
- You’ll be required to pass a background check as a part of the on-boarding process
- Classes are “in person” in Cedar Rapids and live-streamed to students in Mason City, Mount Pleasant, and Davenport where we are looking for local TAs to help those students in person.
- Pay is commensurate with experience and should be near market rates.
- Benefits include health/vision/dental via Wellmark and a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan through Vanguard with company match.
If you are interested, apply with:
- a resume
- some cool projects you’ve worked on (ideally, URLs of public applications if possible. Tell us your role in those projects)
- examples of instructional materials you’ve created / used
- a link to your GitHub page
NewBoCo values diversity in entrepreneurship, innovation, and tech education within and connected to our ecosystem. We are committed to promoting and enhancing equity and inclusion in all of our programs and events. We believe the shared commitment to building a resilient ecosystem within a diverse environment fosters creativity and advances our community as a whole. Our ultimate goal is that diversity and inclusion, like innovation, are an unwavering, uncontestable part of the DNA of our organization.
We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that includes partners with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving customers throughout our global communities. Black, Indigenous, People of color, Women, LGBTQIA+, Veterans, and Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.