Code School Teaching Assistant
We’re looking for one or more teaching assistants to help us grow our DeltaV Code School in Cedar Rapids. You’ll be responsible for:
- Assisting in teaching the curriculum, including:
- Helping students every day during class work hours
- Leading instructional sessions ranging from the entry-level 101 by yourself, through advanced 401-level courses with our instructors
- Improving the curriculum over time and providing feedback on the program itself
- Assisting in administration of the program (grading, admissions, etc)
- Developing real world applications for startups and corporate partners when classes aren’t in session
This role is ideal for a recent college graduate or early career developer with a strong computer science background, and ideally with some formal or informal teaching experience. This is a hands-on role: you’ll get down and dirty with the code, working with the students on a daily basis to help them work through challenges and push them to get a strong understanding of modern software development practices.
And you’ll get to do this in a brand new code school classroom in our facility in the NewBo district of Cedar Rapids.
- Ensure the best possible, highest quality learning environment for students
- Assist with instruction according to the guidelines and rules set forth in the Instructor Handbook
- Proactively assist student learning in-person and online
- Be available to students outside of class, in person, as needed
- Grading homework and other student work
- Support the instructors and other teaching assistants with the curriculum, as appropriate
- Instruct 101 courses on a limited number of Saturdays throughout the year
- Attend community tech events on occasion
- Contribute content for our blog on occasion
Skills & Qualifications
- 2+ years professional software development experience and/or 2+ years of Computer Science classroom experience with several years of non-professional code experience. In either case, you’d better have a solid demonstration of your work in a Github repo. You need to be sufficiently nerdy to grow the curriculum at DeltaV!
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills. You need to balance your nerdiness with an approachable, patient, focused demeanor.
- Highly organized individual able to keep multiple projects and tasks on track at once
- Consistently interested in the consumption of new technologies and incorporating these into existing curriculum
Some details you should know:
- This can be either a part-time or a full-time, hourly role.
- You’ll be required to pass a background check as a part of the on-boarding process
- Pay is commensurate with experience and should be near market rates.
- Benefits include health/vision/dental via Wellmark and a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan through Vanguard with company match.
If you are interested, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- a resume
- some cool projects you’ve worked on (ideally, URLs of public applications if possible. Tell us your role in those projects)
- examples of instructional materials you’ve created / used
- a link to your GitHub page