Social Good Accelerator
Accelerate Social Good
When you want to make a difference in the world and have an idea but you don’t know what to do with it or how to get started, apply to our Social Good Accelerator. We will work with teams to provide you with fully facilitated, off-site acceleration program, with a mentor network, prototyping lab, investment capital, technical support, and more. These emergent nonprofit opportunities can come from established nonprofits or brand new ideas.
The framework from our successful Iowa Startup Accelerator is almost perfect for nonprofits: with weekly iterations, built-in educational programs and speakers, and seed funding.
• There will be a “sub-cohort” of 2 or more teams that are all social good entrepreneurs and/or nonprofit “startups”. This group would proceed through the program together for a year.
• The program is modified for nonprofit-specific content, e.g. nonprofit board governance, donor strategies, etc.
• A local review board will select the sub-cohort based on a competitive application process, similar to our existing method.
• Instead of a seed investment like our current program, each team would receive a grant of $20,000-$50,000.
• The nonprofits have to be local (based in the Corridor or Eastern Iowa).
• A subset of mentors will focus specifically on developing highperformance nonprofit organizations.
While every situation is slightly different, we use the same resources that Iowa Startup Accelerator, our flagship program, has seen success with for three years. Your team might focus on:
• Fully validating the organization model and its market viability
• Developing a researched organization case for the product
• Developing iterative prototypes for the product or service
• Assessing scaling potential and go-to-market strategy
• Development of marketing / sales plans and strategies
• And then implementing all of the above
If you’re interested in taking the next step with social good accelerator, reach out to us for a 1-on-1 conversation and tour.
Email: Eric Engelmann firstname.lastname@example.org
Eric Engelmann is member of ISA’s founding team. He served as the first Managing Director for the accelerator from 2014-2016, where he helped build the program that brought 19 early-stage tech startups to Cedar Rapids in its first two years. He has since served as NewBoCo Executive Director overseeing and visioning for the entire organization.