Corridor Angel Investors is a new group of accredited angels interested in investing in early-stage, Iowa-connected companies. We aim to build a strong network of 100 or more angels by the end of 2017. Our membership is open to any profession or industry background or level of investment experience.
This program is an initiative of NewBoCo, a non-profit corporation, which powers Iowa Startup Accelerator, the ISA Fund I investment fund, Vault Coworking and numerous other entrepreneurial and innovation programs. The group provides local angel investors access to deals from the Iowa Startup Accelerator program and national, regional, and some international startups that have a strong connection to Eastern Iowa.
We provide tools and a platform for members to view and exchange information about investment opportunities, collaborate on due diligence, but make their individual investment decisions. This is not a fund. We also provide education for new angel investors, to help them build a diversified investment portfolio.
We are seeking opportunities to invest in companies across a wide variety of industries and lifecycle stages. Our investments can include early stage startups, such as those from Iowa Startup Accelerator, but are open to any Iowa-based companies, including those from other accelerator programs. We focus primarily on industries where Iowa is well-known for its strength, most commonly education, finance, healthcare, aging, food, manufacturing, transportation, and agriculture, but will consider other industries or opportunities as well.
We focus on investment opportunities of up to $500k, though we can collaborate with other angel groups around the Midwest on larger opportunities, such as Plains Angels, Nebraska Angels, MidAmerica Angels, or Gopher Angels.
Investors: Apply to be a member
To join our group, you must:
- be an SEC-accredited investor
- be a member in good standing, which requires a short online application and a $299 annual membership fee. The fee is used to offset operating costs for the group, including building the pipeline of prospective investments, screening proposals, creating term sheets, due diligence research, legal services, investment or valuation analysis and member recruiting.
- have the intent to invest at least $50,000 in the next two years into companies in Eastern Iowa
- participate in meetings and collaborate to identify, filter and perform due diligence on potential investments
Apply online by filling out the Investor Application:
Our group has four scheduled meetings (once per quarter), but may from time to time add meetings for opportunities that arise. These are open to members and prospective members.
For 2018, our meeting schedule is:
- February 22nd, 2018, 4:30-6:00PM – RSVP
- May 17th, 2018, 4:30-6:00PM (during EntreFEST!) – RSVP
- August 2nd, 2018, 4:30-6:00PM – RSVP
- October 18th, 2018, 4:30-6:00PM – RSVP
We will be alternating in-person presentations between the Geonetric building in Cedar Rapids and MERGE in Iowa City, but presentations are also available to attend via videoconference.
The agenda for a typical meeting is as follows:
- light refreshments
- a pitch from one or more vetted, early stage startups (they may or may not be ISA startups)
- from time to time, a short educational presentation on topics germane to angel investing. These topics will range from the straightforward “understanding term sheets” to timely topics, such as new equity crowdfunding rules or imminent regulatory changes that affect angels.
Have questions? Contact Aaron Horn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Startups: Apply to present
To pitch our angels, you must:
- Be a for-profit, scalable business opportunity located in Iowa.
- Ideally be in one of our target sectors (education, finance, healthcare, aging, food, manufacturing, transportation, and agriculture).
- You do not have to be an Iowa Startup Accelerator company or have a relationship with any of our programs, but getting to know us prior to applying to pitch can dramatically increase your odds of bring selected.
- Complete a full profile and apply online via Gust.com
- Be selected by our vetting team. If you aren’t selected, we’ll give you direct and candid feedback in-person, and encourage you to re-apply.
If selected to present, you’ll also be required to meet with our staff for at least one 90-minute meeting before the investor meeting.
- For the Feb 22nd meeting, the application deadline is January 29th at 5PM.
- For the May 17th meeting, the application deadline is April 24th at 5PM.
- For the August 2nd meeting, the application deadline is July 9th at 5PM.
- For the October 18th meeting, the application deadline is September 24th at 5PM.
Have questions? Contact Aaron Horn at email@example.com