Software Developer Apprenticeship
The New Bohemian Innovation Collaborative, Inc. (“NewBoCo”) is looking for a Software Developer Apprentice in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. NewBoCo will cover the tuition cost to attend DeltaV Code School (an Eligible Training Provider), valued at $20,000. Upon successful completion of the Department of Labor-recognized apprenticeship (which is competency-based, not time-based), the position will transition into a Junior Software Developer role whose primary responsibility will be to help design and develop applications for our customers. The Junior Software Developer role will also serve as a Teaching Assistant for DeltaV Code School 101-501 courses after successfully completing the 2018 courses. NewBoCo utilizes Agile Methodologies in software development, but previous experience with Agile is not required. You will work closely with our staff and customers in order to ensure we are delivering world class software as well as the best possible learning experience in the market for students in our unique adult code school.
And you’ll get to do this in a brand new code school classroom in our facility in the NewBo district of Cedar Rapids.
- Work with NewBoCo Software Developers to design, develop and support functional software that meets customer needs.
- Identify issues and bugs, and devise creative solutions to mitigate and address issues.
- Create and maintain software documentation.
- Collaborate with internal teams to develop systems and meet customer needs.
- Assist DeltaV instructors with classroom assignments, grading, and student support (starting in 2019).
- Assist with DeltaV 101/102 courses on a limited number of Saturdays throughout the year (starting in 2019).
Apprentice must maintain a “passing” status while attending DeltaV Code School, successfully complete the Code 201-401 course of training in 2018, and meet the competency requirements of the apprenticeship to transition into a Junior Software Developer.
Skills & Qualifications
- Excellent troubleshooting and communication skills
- Strong problem solver
- Self-starter attitude
- Highly organized individual able to keep multiple projects and tasks on track at once
- Comfortable with pair programming and working with a development team
Some details you should know:
- While this starts as an hourly role after completion of the training, it transitions to a full-time, salaried role commensurate with experience after satisfaction of the apprenticeship competency requirements.
- You’ll be required to pass a background check, and enter an agreement to safeguard proprietary information of NewBoCo and our clients, as a part of the on-boarding process.
- Benefits include company contributions to health/vision/dental insurance plans and a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with company match.
- Apprentices who leave the program: 1. before completing the course of training, 2. within 12 months after completing the course of training, or 3. by being terminated by the company for just cause within 12 months after completing the course of training, must reimburse the company for all funds paid toward tuition.
If you are interested, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- a resume
- some cool projects you’ve worked on (ideally, URLs of public applications if possible. Tell us your role in those projects)
- examples of instructional materials you’ve created / used
- a link to your GitHub page