Cargill + NewBoCo STEM Education Fellowship Program
NewBoCo is looking for undergraduate and graduate students passionate about STEM education to develop and teach science curriculum for K-5 students in Cedar Rapids. Fellows will create and facilitate science projects for the “Cargill Corner” at NewBoCo’s CoderDojo program. These fellowships are paid, part-time positions starting at $15 an hour from September 2019 – June 2020.
For the past five years on the first and third Saturdays of each month, NewBoCo hosts CoderDojo – two hours of free coding and STEM activities for K-5 students. During these two hours, students explore STEM through hands-on, mentor facilitated stations – everything from programming a LEGO robot that decorates Easter eggs to creating circuits in conductive PlayDoh. Approximately 300 K-5 students attend this program each year along with their parents and guardians. CoderDojo serves as an accessible way to introduce both children and parents to STEM activities. Students engage with a variety of different activities at their own pace, and parents without a STEM background talk with mentors and volunteers about how to continue this learning in their own homes.
In this role, you will:
- Assist in planning and facilitation of 1-2 half-day Science Curriculum Development Summits with Cargill scientists, local educators, and parents
- Create, test, and document 10+ Agriculture, Food, and Chemistry interactive learning stations with clear learning objectives for the “Cargill Corner” at CoderDojo
- Host 1-2 multi-week Science stations for advanced and older students at CoderDojo
Required Skills and Experience
- Background in science or education (or both!)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Current undergraduate or graduate student
- You’ll be required to pass a background check as a part of the on-boarding process
- We’d prefer you to work in Cedar Rapids, but remote curriculum development is allowed for exceptional applicants
- You must be able to be in Cedar Rapids on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month for CoderDojo.
If you are interested, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- A résumé
- Examples of science curriculum you’ve developed, or a sample idea for a science-focused CoderDojo project
- Anything else that you think helps tell us why you’re the best candidate for this role