Accelerator Managing Director
NewBoCo and its affiliated venture fund ISA Ventures are seeking a Managing Director to design, grow, and execute a series of world-class accelerator programs in Eastern Iowa (Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, and perhaps other communities). You’ll be leading the overall vision and team for our accelerator programs, collaborating with both the nonprofit NewBoCo and ISA Ventures teams. You’ll build on the successful six-year history of Iowa Startup Accelerator, making them stronger in every respect. You’ll have overall responsibility for our accelerator program outcomes and their performance; the role is ultimately responsible for turning good companies into great companies.
- Iteratively improving accelerator program, curriculum, and format
- Hiring and leading the accelerator team made up of 2 program managers
- Overseeing mentoring programs, including a regional 160+ mentor network, growing and strengthening it
- Outreach to, and collaboration with, corporate partners in key industry sectors, building strong mutually beneficial relationships
- Acquiring startup participants and building deal flow
- Ensuring program financial viability & sponsor relationships
- Create ongoing relationships with, and develop communication channels within, our portfolio company leaders
- Overseeing all stakeholder communications
- Represent these organizations in the community, and even nationally and internationally
- Assisting with investor relationships, especially regarding portfolio teams and their performance over time, collecting and communicating ongoing data about cohorts
- Supporting ongoing NewBoCo/ISAV programming
- 1:1 coaching for founders and their teams
Skills & Qualifications
The ideal candidate will have some of the following:
- Founded, grown, and/or exited a successful company;
- Experience working within one or more of our target industries;
- Worked for 10 or more years experience in entrepreneurship, technology, or venture capital;
- Experience leading small, high-performance teams outside of a large bureaucracy;
- Experience in corporate innovation;
- Technology skills;
- Raised capital for a growing business;
- Exceptional relationship-building skills;
- Strong public speaking skills (e.g. to large public events, in corporate partner C-Suite, to government officials);
- The ability to synthesize complex information into clear decisions;
- Experience working within an agile environment – designing and executing experiments, responding rapidly to feedback, working in short iterations to deliver value, and making people awesome.
Women & minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Travel: The role requires some travel, perhaps up to 25% of the time, mostly within Eastern Iowa, but also to industry conferences and other events.
- Work hours: This role is mostly during normal work hours but frequently has evening and weekend requirements as well.
- Location: This role will be located in Cedar Rapids and Iowa City.
- Reporting: This role formally reports to the Executive Director at NewBoCo, but works closely with the affiliated ISA Venture Fund.
- Compensation & Benefits: NewBoCo offers a competitive pay package; benefits include company contributions to health/vision/dental insurance plans and a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with company match
- Background check: You’ll be required to pass a background check, and enter an agreement to safeguard proprietary information of NewBoCo and our clients, as a part of the on-boarding process.
If you are interested in this role, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- a resume or up-to-date LinkedIn profile
- a cover letter or summary of why you think you’re the right person for this unique role
- examples of your public speaking skills, if available (a video of you speaking publicly would be great)
- anything else that you think helps tells us why you’re the best candidate for this role