Meet Jason. He graduated from the inaugural class of DeltaV Code School in 2017. One year later, he’s an application developer at UFG Insurance. He and fellow graduate Dustin were hired by UFG less than two months after graduating from DeltaV.
As DeltaV students, Jason and Dustin spent 20 weeks together sitting desk by desk pair programming, creating software, and reviewing each other’s code. As UFG Application Developers, Dustin and Jason sit back to back sharing a cubicle and depending on the sprint, working on the same project and reviewing each other’s code. While these may paint a similar image, Jason gave us a glimpse into how his life has changed over the last year.
6:50 a.m.: Wake up, get ready for work, barter with his wife to see who feeds the dogs (spoiler alert: it’s usually him).
8:00 a.m. (maybe 8:15 a.m.): Arrive at work (usually). Jason and his wife just moved into a new house, and that darn train likes to slow him down on his commute.
9:30 a.m.: Team standup
- Everyday, Jason’s team gets together for 30 minutes to go over what they accomplished the prior day, any impediments they’re facing, and what they’re working on today. His standup is a meeting of about a dozen people in-person and on the phone.
10:45 a.m.: Team standup
- Depending on the sprint, he may be working on two projects, which means being on the same team as Dustin and attending a second standup. To sum it up, more projects = more meetings.
12:00 p.m.: Lunch time
- When he doesn’t bring his own lunch, he and fellow teammates and officemates support local downtown restaurants. His go-tos are Pub 217, Wasabi, and his personal favorite, The Lost Cuban.
1:00 p.m.: Work time
- Most of Jason’s day is work time, which includes writing code and code review for contractors doing frontend work to ensure that their code meets UFG standards. Typically he spends one hour on code review and four hours researching and writing code.
4:30 p.m.: Time to head home
After work: This extrovert unwinds by being around people at board game gatherings, taking the mic at karaoke, or practicing his poker face.
After work: Team celebration!
- UFG likes to celebrate team successes. After his team completed multiple sprints (a sprint in this case is a week of committed work), UFG sent the team to Cedar Ridge for after work appetizers for app developers.