On October 4, Samantha Dahlby celebrated one year at NewBoCo.
Before Samantha officially joined the team, she was an Iowa Startup Accelerator mentor, summer camp instructor, and CoderDojo volunteer. She joined the NewBoCo team in 2016 as the K-12 Education Coordinator. Since then, she has been the Program Manager for Code.org‘s Iowa region, helping an increasing number of Iowa schools add and develop computer science programs in their curriculum, and developed kids’ STEAM classes through NewBoCo’s Imagination Iowa program. This year, she was recognized as a Creative Corridor All Star and is a member of the Corridor Business Journal’s Forty Under 40 2017 class of honorees, along with her husband and coworker, Keith Dahlby.
The NewBoCo team wanted to share a few of their favorite memories and traits to celebrate a year of Samantha Dahlby.
- Her combination of drive and optimism is one of the best things about Samantha. When she means to get something done, she does it confidently, competently, and always with a smile on her face.
- Samantha is as passionate about computer science education as anyone on the planet. I think her determination will push Iowa to the front of the pack and I can’t wait to celebrate with her when we get there.
- Samantha is easy-going, smart as a whip, and always down for a fun time! Nothing is better than a day in the office with the ENTIRE Dahlby family. Love having Samantha’s calming energy around the office : )
- I consider the Felicity High Five experiment work-related, so there’s that.
Some favorite memories include our kids doing shows on the cafeteria stage while we try to work.
- She has a knack for applying engineering problem solving to non-engineering challenges.
- She is a force to be reckoned with! Creative Corridor All Star, Forty Under 40…She is very smart and hard working. I wish I had more work-related memories with her, but honestly, I look up to her so much as a mom – she is an inspiration!
- I look up to Samantha’s tenacity. She’s taken a huge leadership role to bring computer science education to students statewide, and she refuses to have this initiative fail.
- Samantha is positive and encouraging. She makes technology approachable for those unfamiliar. She is easy to talk to and you can depend on her to do what she says she’s going to do.
- She’s so smart! I love learning from her. She’s also always willing to help out and constantly thinking about how we can work together to make all of our projects better.
- Samantha is extremely passionate about STEAM education and it’s very infectious!
- I always love seeing her with her kids in the office. She is so good with her kids and then totally dominates and excels at her work. She rocks!
- Samantha is wicked smaht, extremely thorough and thoughtful, passionate about teaching, and our third-favorite Dahlby. She’s the one who brings #1 and #2 to see us occasionally, so her #3 ranking isn’t as far down as it sounds.
- I always like seeing her with her family, like when we went bowling. She’s a very nice person and you can tell she’s a super sweet mom.
- She is very nice and good to work with, but at the same time she is smart in ways I can’t even measure.
- I love working with Samantha because she is a confident and caring person. Learning new technologies can be intimidating, but Samantha has the brain of an engineer and the heart of a teacher; I always know that I will walk away with new knowledge.
- Samantha is creative and passionate about getting more girls (including her own daughters) involved and excited about STEAM. I want to participate in every project she comes up with from 3D printing fidget spinners to designing light up clothing.
- One of my favorite memories of Samantha is when she works with her Code.org teachers. She’s genuinely proud of each of them and is motivated to make computer science education accessible to all students in Iowa.
- There was one day when Samantha had brought her daughters to the office and needed to finish a project, so she had planned ahead (as usual) and set up both of her daughters on computers to use kids’ coding software. I don’t know many parents whose kids could sit still for longer than ten minutes, let alone willingly learn outside of school, and I think it really shows how far her passion for STEAM education can reach!
- It was a blast working with Samantha at the Market After Dark – she was cheery, friendly, fun, and efficient so we raked in the beer sales!
- The one trait that makes me want to work with Samantha is that she is so gracious – she appreciates your time, input, opinions and acknowledges it.
- Samantha truly cares about the community. She organized a team lunch to benefit the Horizons Lunchbox program. It was fun to share a meal as a team and to support another great nonprofit in the area.
Congratulations on a year at NewBoCo, Samantha!