On July 25, our Accelerator Program Manager Molly Monk celebrated one year with NewBoCo.
Monk officially joined the nonprofit on July 25, 2016; she first got a taste of our entrepreneurial ecosystem when she participated in Startup Weekend Cedar Rapids 2016, building a company based on political satire called Snarky Cards. Over the last year she has helped recruit startups to join Iowa Startup Accelerator, challenged companies in the ISA cohorts, contributed to the redesign of the ISA program, and participated in a number of efforts to grow Iowa’s startup community.
When Molly joined the team, there were 10 staff members. Now, NewBoCo is a team of 18. Coworkers shared their favorite memories and traits to celebrate a year of Molly Monk.
1. Molly has a great attitude and asks very good questions. I love that she gives great, candid feedback and challenges you to always do your best work.
2. Molly is honest and driven. She admits when something isn’t working, but is also a part of finding a solution. She’s also great with kids!
3. Molly has an abundance of snark that is well-placed into the work day. She’s quick to compliment when you do something remotely useful, which is nice. I’d add she’s super smart and helps our team reach its full potential. Oh, yeah, and pizza. She really, really likes pizza.
4. She dives into complex topics, connects the dots between those themes, and helps startups see new opportunities and ideas.
5. My favorite trait of Molly’s that makes me want to work with her is her candor. Molly straight up tells it like it is.
6. I met Molly at Startup Weekend and joined her Snarky Political Cards business. Having her join our team a year later was so exciting, especially as she took on a major leading role for the ISA.
7. Molly is one of the coolest people I’ve met. Standing next to her makes me feel even less cool than I already am. That being said, she’s also crazy nice and wicked smart.
8. I’ve been able to watch Molly’s transformation from someone with her “first real job” to a program leader over the course of just one year.
9. She truly cares for and is protective of the ISA startups. When she believes in your idea, you have one of the best supporters in your corner.
10. Molly is an absolute blast to work with and her sense of humor (and her sarcasm) make the office a brighter place to work.
11. I loved seeing her pure joy and excitement when we decided to have EntreFEST fanny packs.
12. One of my favorite memories of Molly is working with her on Team Ecosystem, her big laugh, and her “Pikachu” sneeze.
13. She’s always positive and flexible. She also has good insight and ideas.
14. I love the diversity of her interests and experience, which emerge with surprising relevance at just the right moments.
15. It’s been great to watch Molly get to know and grow with this community. She’s embraced Cedar Rapids, the Corridor, Eastern Iowa, and Iowa’s entrepreneurial ecosystem.
16. Molly is an upbeat, old soul with incredible work ethic. I rely on Molly for political updates, a solid perspective (on most everything), and an enthusiastic story. Her laugh is contagious and she has been such a joy to work with!